Peguis First Nation requires an energetic, motivated and career-minded Chief Financial Officer responsible for reporting to and partnering with the Chief & Council. The Chief Financial Officer will play a critical role in the development and implementation of the Peguis First Nation financial strategy.
Reporting to and partnering with Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Chief Financial Officer will play a critical role in developing and implementing the financial strategy of Peguis First Nation. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Chief Financial Officer will be an advisor to the Band’s Department of Directors, evaluating and assisting them with their financial plans and economic modelling. The Chief Financial Officer will be responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization, in conjunction with the Chief and Council and the finance, audit, and investment committees of the band.
- Ensure compliance with local, I.S.C., provincial, Management Action Plan for finance and federal budgetary reporting requirements.
- Excellent managerial & communications skills.
- Create, coordinate, and evaluate the financial programs and supporting information systems of the First Nation to include budgeting, tax planning, and conversation of assets.
- Approve and coordinate changes and improvements in automated financial and management information systems for the band.
- Ensure compliance with local, ISC, provincial, and federal budgetary reporting requirements
- Oversee the approval and processing of revenue, expenditure, and position of control documents, departmental budgets, mass salary updates, ledger, and account maintenance and data entry
- Coordinate the preparation of financial statements, financial reports, special analyses, and information reports.
- Develop and implement finance, accounting, billing and auditing procedures.
- Establish and maintain appropriate internal control safeguards.
- Interact with other managers to provide consultative support to planning initiatives through financial and management information analyses, reports, and recommendations.
- Ensure records systems are maintained in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
- Develop and direct the implementation of strategic business and/or operational plans, projects, programs, and systems.
- Assist in obtaining the necessary licences and insurance required to start a business.
- Analyze cash flow, cost controls, and expenses to guide business leaders. Analyze financial statements to pinpoint potential weak areas.
- Establish and implement short and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Assess organization performance against both the annual budget and Peguis First Nation’s long-term strategy.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the COO and make actionable recommendations to both strategy and operations.
- Engage the Band Finance, Audit, and investment committees around issues, trends, and changes in the operation model(s) and operational delivery.
- University Degree in Finance or Accounting
- CA, CGA, MBA, HBA or Masters degree in Finance or Accounting preferred
- ( 5 or more ) years of experience in a senior-level finance or accounting position
- Willing to travel as needed.
- Advanced proficiency with [Level 1-3] accounting software and spreadsheet programs and applications. Ex. ACCPAC
- Criminal Record Check required.
Qualified applicants should submit resumes & references to:
Peguis First Nation
c/o Gerald McCorrister – Human Resource Director
Peguis First Nation, MB. R0C 3J0
Deadline for resumes is: APRIL 15TH, 2021