May 10, 2021
Public health officials advise that four new deaths in people with COVID-19 have been reported today:
• a male in his 40s from the Southern Health–Santé Sud region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern;
• a male in his 50s from the Northern health region;
• a male in his 60s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern; and
• a male in his 80s from the Southern Health–Santé Sud region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 11.6 per cent provincially and 13.8 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 502 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, four cases have been removed due to data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 498 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 42,453.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
• 25 cases in the Interlake–Eastern health region;
• 10 cases in the Northern health region;
• 20 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
• 48 cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region; and
• 399 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The data also shows:
• 3,771 active cases and 37,683 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
• 153 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 62 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 215 hospitalizations;
• 48 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 12 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, for a total of 60 ICU patients;
• 3,787 laboratory tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 698,667and
• the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 997.
Additional data on variants of concern is updated from Tuesday to Saturday at https://geoportal.gov.mb.ca/. Data related to COVID-19, outbreaks and some downloadable and historic data can also be found at this site.
Possible exposure locations are listed online by region at the province’s #RestartMB Pandemic Response System webpage. For up-to-date information on possible public exposures to COVID-19 in regions, visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/flights.html#event and click on your region.
Public health officials are reminding Manitobans that in most cases, they should only seek testing at a provincial test site if they are symptomatic or have been advised by public health that they are a close contact. This will help ensure that those who need to be tested can continue to access testing as easily as possible. Manitobans have several options available to access testing, including drive-thru, walk-in, or by booking an appointment by calling 1-855-268-4318 or online at select sites at www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/testing/locations.html#appointment.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Manitoba, including the online screening tool, testing criteria and locations, self-isolation requirements, public health fundamentals and the provincial response level on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System, visit www.manitoba.ca/COVID19.