May 16, 2021
Public health officials advise four new deaths in people with COVID-19 have been reported today:
• a male in his 50s from the Northern Health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern;
• a female in her 50s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the B.1.1.7 variant of concern;
• a male in his 50s from the Winnipeg health region; and
• a male in his 80s from Winnipeg health region, linked to an outbreak at Holy Family Home.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 12.3 per cent provincially and 14.1 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 534 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, two cases have been removed due to data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 532 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 45,149.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
• 39 cases in the Interlake–Eastern health region;
• 39 cases in the Northern health region;
• 43 cases in the Prairie Mountain health region;
• 84 cases in the Southern Health–Santé Sud health region; and
• 329 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The data also shows:
• 4,440 active cases and 39,699 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
• 201 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 57 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 258 hospitalizations;
• 53 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 18 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, for a total of 71 ICU patients;
• 3,682 laboratory tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 721,995; and
• the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 1,010.
A new mobile testing site at 1181 Portage Ave. in Winnipeg will open tomorrow. Appointments can be made starting today. Public health officials are reminding Manitobans that in most cases, they should only seek testing at a provincial test site if they are symptomatic or have been advised by public health that they are a close contact. This will help ensure that those who need to be tested can continue to access testing as easily as possible.
Manitobans have several options available to access testing including drive-thru, walk-in or by booking an appointment by calling (toll-free) 1-855-268-4318 or online at select sites at:
Additional data on variants of concern is updated from Tuesday to Saturday at https://geoportal.gov.mb.ca/. Data related to COVID-19, outbreaks and some downloadable and historic data can also be found at this site.
Possible exposure locations are listed online by region at the province’s #RestartMB Pandemic Response System webpage. For up-to-date information on possible public exposures to COVID-19 in regions, visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/flights.html#event and click on your region.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Manitoba, including the online screening tool, testing criteria and locations, self-isolation requirements, public health fundamentals and the provincial response level on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System, visit www.manitoba.ca/COVID19.