June 24, 2021
Public health officials advise two new deaths in people with COVID-19 have been reported today:
• a male in his 50s from the Winnipeg health region linked to the B.1.1.7 (alpha) variant of concern; and
• a male in his 80s from Southern Health-Santé Sud linked to an unspecified variant of concern.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 6.4 per cent provincially and 6.7 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 106 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, two cases have been removed due to data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 104 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 55,692.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
• nine cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
• 14 cases in the Northern health region;
• one case in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
• 18 cases in the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region; and
• 64 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The data also shows:
• 1,712 active cases and 52,759 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
• 212 Manitobans hospitalized with COVID-19 in Manitoba and neighbouring provinces, including:
– 109 people in hospital in Manitoba with active COVID-19 as well as 91 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious, amounting to a total of 200 hospitalizations;
• a total of 64 Manitoba patients receiving intensive care for COVID-19 including:
– 28 people in intensive care units in Manitoba with active COVID-19 as well as 24 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, amounting to a total of 52 ICU patients in Manitoba; and
– 12 Manitoba patients in intensive care units outside the province, with 11 in Ontario and one in Alberta;
• 35 patients previously receiving care in an out-of-province ICU have now been returned to Manitoba hospitals for further care; and
– no COVID-19 patients were transported out of province for care yesterday;
• 2,037 laboratory tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 821,847; and
• the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 1,134.
Possible exposure locations are listed online by region at the province’s #RestartMB Pandemic Response System webpage. For up-to-date information on possible public exposures to COVID-19 in regions, visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/flights.html#event and click on your region.
Additional data on variants of concern is updated from Tuesday to Saturday at: https://geoportal.gov.mb.ca/. Data related to COVID-19, outbreaks and some downloadable and historic data can also be found at this site.
Updated enforcement statistics are posted online weekly. For more information, go to Cross-Departmental Reports at https://manitoba.ca/openmb/infomb/departments/index.html
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Manitoba, including the online screening tool, testing criteria and locations, self-isolation requirements, public health fundamentals and the provincial response level on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System, visit: www.manitoba.ca/COVID19.