The Treaty One Nation (T1N) government secretariat provides support to the Governing Council of the seven Treaty One Nations of Brokenhead, Long Plain, Peguis, Roseau River, Sagkeeng, Sandy Bay, and Swan Lake First Nations. The T1N is responsible for asserting and protecting the Nations’ Treaty rights, and for developing a nation-to-nation relationship with the federal government. The T1N works in partnership with the Treaty One Development Corporation (T1DC) in reclaiming and developing Treaty One lands and resources to enhance and improve the economic well-being of the seven Treaty One Nations.
Important principles of the T1N are fundraising/sustainability and team building. The T1N is seeking an experienced Grant Coordinator to seek out, apply for, and provide reporting for related funding opportunities. This unique position would also provide Human Resources support by creating associated job descriptions, job postings, maintaining records, and assist in coordinating team-building activities and training. This full-time position reports to the Executive Director.
The Treaty One Nation:
- Focuses on its employees’ creativity and their professional development;
- Has a rich and diverse range of career opportunities;
- Is a respectful workplace that celebrates diversity and equality for all; including a zero tolerance for harassment and lateral violence;and
- Fosters a healthy work-life balance, spiritual wellness, and encourages land-based learning and teambuilding.
- Post-Secondary school diploma in Communications, Business Administration, or Human Resources Management, or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience;
- An understanding of Treaties, and in particular, the numbered Treaties in Canada, Anishinaabe family clans and governance, as well as some knowledge of the Indian Act and colonial government structures;
- Recent experience developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships with First Nations, and with local non-profit organizations and non-governmental organizations;
- Experience identifying and applying for First Nations funding opportunities including program outlines, developing budgets, obtaining quotes, and gathering required information and documents;
- Experience in developing or preparing reporting documents, updates, and evaluations of grants and funding as required;
- Experience creating job postings, job descriptions, and maintaining personnel records as required; and
- Experience in file management including both electronic and paper records.
The following are also desirable qualifications for applicants:
- Ability to communicate in Anishinaabe.
- Knowledge of Anishinaabe (and Dakota) culture, and of regional Indigenous organizations and partnerships.
- Ability to work with communities to assess and communicate needs and priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize and share information effectively.
Interviews will be used to assess skills in:
- Communicating effectively in English
- Working well with other people
- Demonstrating Integrity and respect
- Good judgement
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and prioritize workload
Written tests may be used to assess skills in:
- Reading, writing, and comprehension of information in English
Conditions of employment:
- Various security clearances including Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check as applicable;
- Willing and able to work overtime as required;
- Willing and able to travel including holding a valid driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle when required.
Preference will be given to Treaty One members and to First Nations citizens, in that order. Women and Two-spirited/non-binary persons are encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, with resume, along with 3 professional references and salary expectations to:
Ardell Boubard, Human Resource Manager
Treaty One Nation Government
103-1075 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3G 0R8
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 9, 2021 @ 4:30 PM
We thank all who apply; however, only those considered for interview will be contacted. Miigwetch.