Manitoba Hydro is consistently recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top Employers!
Manitoba Hydro is a leader among energy companies in North America, recognized for providing highly reliable service and exceptional customer satisfaction. Join our team of Manitoba’s best as we continue to build a company that supports innovation, commitment and customer service.
We are seeking Indigenous candidates interested in training for a career as a Power Electrician or Mechanical Technician.
This Pre-Placement Training Program is a nine-month program designed to provide Indigenous candidates with on the job training and academic upgrading to meet the minimum requirements to qualify and compete for a position in the Power Electrician or Mechanical Technician Training Programs.
Following completion of the Pre-Placement training, successful candidates will be considered for the 4 – year Power Electrician or Mechanical Technician apprenticeship programs, which include additional on-the-job training, trade schools and formal college classes.
During your training, you will be stationed at various locations throughout the province and may require relocation to Northern Manitoba.
There is no guarantee of ongoing employment at the completion of the Pre-Placement Program.
Safety is our top priority and we will follow Manitoba Health’s pandemic-related safety and health protocols throughout the recruitment process for this program. This will result in a longer than normal recruitment process. At this time, we expect successful candidates will start in January 2022. Anticipated start dates, and timelines for recruitment activities, may be adjusted as required given pandemic-related restrictions.
– Assist Technicians and Journeypersons to install, test and perform regular maintenance on equipment.
– Assist with troubleshooting, making necessary repairs under regular and emergency conditions.
– High school graduate.
– Possess a valid Province of Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s Licence; (intermediate or full).
– Maintain a level of physical fitness and mental alertness appropriate for the duties you are performing.
– Have good physical coordination; manual dexterity and be able to lift heavy objects from a variety of physical positions while working at heights requiring bucket truck or ladder and while working in confined spaces.
– Be capable of communicating effectively orally and in writing.
– Have good hearing and accurate colour perception.
– Have basic computer skills.
– Have a mechanical aptitude to satisfy all requirements of the position.
– Be willing to acquire an approved set of personal hand tools.
All applications must include the following information, attached to your online profile:
– Current resume and cover letter.
– High school and any post-secondary school transcripts or training certificates.
– Proof of Indigenous ancestry.
The email address you submit in your application profile will be used as the main form of correspondence throughout the recruitment process. Please monitor your email inbox on a regular basis.
The selection process includes aptitude testing and a one-day Manitoba Hydro sponsored Skills Assessment and Trades Orientation session which includes a panel interview and provides candidates with the opportunity to demonstrate job-related skills such as following instructions, handling tools, measuring and cutting and following blueprints; a job-related physical assessment will also be conducted. To help you prepare see the Skills Assessment and Trades Orientation Physical Training Guide (https://www.hydro.mb.ca/careers/training_programs/physical_training_guide.pdf). Selected candidates must provide a current driver’s abstract at that time.
Visit www.hydro.mb.ca/careers to learn more about this position and to apply online. The deadline for applications is October 4, 2021.
We thank you for your interest and will contact you if you are selected for an interview. Only complete applications will be considered.
Manitoba Hydro is committed to increasing the representation of women in the skilled trades. Women are encouraged to apply.
This document is available in accessible formats upon request. Please let us know if you require any accommodations during the recruitment process.