On behalf of the Chiefs and Council of Peguis, the Justice Coordinator serves as the special resource and technical advisor to the Manitoba First Nations on areas of justice, policing and culturally appropriate programming.
The Justice Coordinator reports directly to the Peguis Justice Committee.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- The Justice Coordinator is responsible for the Peguis files, reporting to the Executive Director, providing briefings to the Political Confederacy, and supervising the Justice Sector. The Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing the updating of the departmental information system, ensuring that files are kept secure and accurate.
- The Justice Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining a current understanding of federal and provincial government policies that impact First Nations Peoples in Peguis and analyze any proposed policy changes to ascertain their potential impact on Indigenous Peoples.
- Carry out reviews and evaluation of current policies, legislation and programs and procedures affecting Indigenous justice and culturally appropriate programming;
- By preparing position papers, reports and research on emerging issues of First Nation justice
- Consult with First Nation communities and organizations to determine the need for effectiveness of a particular action;
- Participate in regional and national justice technicians forums;
- By preparing briefing notes for meetings, workshops and overall distribution for First Nation communities, Chiefs Assemblies and federal or provincial justice meetings
- Prepare annual work plans and budgets for the Justice Department. Ensure that reports are completed on time.
- The Justice Coordinator will possess a degree in law or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of public policy/law/criminology and related field in experience
- Experience in managing, planning, coordinating and organizing work projects.
- The Justice Coordinator will have at least two years experience working on policy issues related to First Nation issues.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
Salary will be set according to actual experience and qualifications
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to:
Attention: Gerald McCorrister / Human Resource Director
Peguis First Nation
P.O. Box 10
Closing Date for Resumes: MAY 11, 2022
*Only eligible applicants will be contacted for an interview.