Rogers Hometown Hockey is Heading to Peguis First Nation,
February 28, 29 & March 1
– Festival taking place at Peguis Multiplex –
– The Stanley Cup and NHL alumni Bryan Trottier to join the weekend festivities –
– Ron MacLean to host special Hockey Night in Canada pregame from Peguis on Saturday –
Join the conversation: @Rogers #HometownHockey
TORONTO (February 18, 2020) RogersTM Hometown HockeyTM Tour presented by Scotiabank and Hyundai is heading to Peguis First Nation, the largest First Nation community in Manitoba, on February 28, 29 and March 1 to celebrate more of the game that brings us together. Hosts Ron MacLean and Tara Slone will be on site for the festivities, which include meet-and-greet opportunities with the Stanley Cup and NHL alumni Bryan Trottier, live local entertainment, and the live Sportsnet NHL broadcast.
The three-day hockey festival begins on Friday, February 28 at 6 p.m. CST at Peguis Multiplex and will conclude on Sunday evening following theRogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party. Sunday evening’s broadcast gets underway with a special pre-game show hosted by MacLean and Slone live from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio beginning at 5:30 p.m. CST, followed by a showdown between the Vancouver Canucks and Columbus Blue Jackets, on Sportsnet, Sportsnet NOW and NHL LIVE, and in Plains Cree language on APTN.
In addition to Sunday night’s live broadcast, Ron MacLean will co-host Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday night from Peguis beginning at 5:30 p.m. CST. The community is invited to the Peguis Multiplex to join in a celebratory Round Dance at 4 p.m. CST to kick off Saturday’s historic broadcast.
“Peguis First Nation is very honoured to host Rogers Hometown Hockey and Hockey Night in Canada,” said Chief Glenn Hudson. “With our community’s rich hockey history and amazing fans, this will be a wonderful experience for all and will forever be in our memories.”
Through Rogers Hometown Hockey, Ted Rogers Community Grants are being awarded to local educational programs that enable Canadian youth to succeed inside and outside the classroom. Peguis First Nation has been awarded $15,000 in support of the Peguis school land-based program which addresses the challenge of language retention and promoting their ancestors’ knowledge and values from living off the land.
Also through Rogers Hometown Hockey, Rogers and the National Hockey League (NHL) are excited to provide grants covering the install of two innovative, multi-use sport nets for Peguis. This unique system enhances community spaces, transforming a single-purpose basketball net into a multi-sport structure, promoting healthy and active lifestyles while also reducing costs and barriers so families can play sports year-round.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Festival Details:
The free hockey-themed weekend features games, prize giveaways, fun activities, and live local entertainment for the whole family, including:
- Rogers Fan Hub: Celebrate more of the game that brings us together with fun and interactive hockey experiences. Fill out your Fan Profile for a chance to win exclusive Rogers Moments, enjoy photo opportunities with the Stanley Cup, autograph signings with NHL alumni Bryan Trottier, test your stickhandling with the Infinite Dangles challenge, and grab some free popcorn!
- Scotiabank Community Hockey Rink: A family-friendly outdoor hockey space designed to engage hockey fans who can interact with NHL alumni, and celebrate the game. Scotiabank will also be donating $15,000 to local minor hockey associations in the surrounding area at each tour stop this season.
- Hyundai Drives Hockey: Hyundai displays on festival grounds will feature games and challenges for kids and parents alike. Opportunities to test-drive and interact with the entire range of five Hyundai SUVs will demonstrate how Hyundai is made for those who drive hockey. Fans will have the chance to win on-site giveaways, weekend prizes as well as an overall grand prize for the season.
- Sportsnet Shooting Accuracy Game: Fans race against the clock to snipe as many targets as possible before time runs out! A digital scoreboard tracks the best scores from the day, and from the other Tour stops across the country. Players of all ages can show off their hockey skills and see how they match up to NHL stars and alumni with fantastic prizes to be won!
- Steve Goodtime Rockin’ Hockey Show: Come see Steve Goodtime, our world-renowned hockey acrobat! Steve performs his incredible family-friendly rock n’ roll hockey show packed with fire, juggling, stunts, and guitar solos. The event will be rocked!
- Dr. Oetker Giuseppe Pizzeria: Fans can enjoy a complimentary slice of Giuseppe Pizzeria pizza fresh out of the oven, and learn more about the Find Giuseppe contest with many great prizes to be won!
- Playmobil Kids Zone: Fans have the chance to face off against friends and family with the PLAYMOBIL NHL Arena and its lineup of NHL figures. In the zone, fans will also be able to enter to win an NHL playset.
- Sobeys Community Barbeque: Sobeys is proud to support the Community Barbeque through a food donation. All funds raised this weekend will go towards supporting the Peguis Minor Hockey Association.
- Live Local Entertainment: Live music featured throughout the weekend beginning with The Incredibly Hip performing on Friday, followed by Keewatin Breeze, Clint Dutaiume, Errol Ranville and the C-Weed Band on Saturday, and William Prince on Sunday.
Rogers Hometown Hockey Event and Broadcast Details
- Peguis Multiplex
- Friday, February 28 – Festival open from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. CST.
- Saturday, February 29 – Festival open from 12:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. CST.
- Sunday, March 1 – Festival opens at Noon CST and runs through the end of the Rogers Hometown Hockey outdoor viewing party.
- Game Matchup: Vancouver Canucks vs. Columbus Blue Jackets, 5:30 p.m. CST (Sportsnet, Sportsnet NOW, NHL LIVE, APTN)
- Live musical performance by Juno Award winner, William Prince.
- Special reflections on Peguis and the power of sport by Senator Murray Sinclair.
Social Media Links
Like Rogers Hometown Hockey Facebook.com/RogersHometownHockey
Follow Rogers Hometown Hockey on Twitter @HometownHockey_
Follow Rogers Hometown Hockey on Instagram @HometownHockey
Official website, Sportsnet sportsnet.ca
Like Sportsnet Facebook.com/Sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet on Twitter @Sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet on Instagram @Sportsnet
Follow Ron MacLean @RonMacLeanHTH
Follow Tara Slone @TaraSlone
About the Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour presented by Scotiabank and Hyundai
The Rogers Hometown Hockey Tour rolls into 25 communities across Canada this season with a weekend of free outdoor hockey festivities for all ages. The weekend culminates in an outdoor viewing party of an NHL game broadcast every Sunday on Sportsnet and Sportsnet NOW, with Ron MacLean and Tara Slone hosting live on site from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio. For more information on the tour, please follow Rogers Hometown Hockey on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Sportsnet is Canada’s #1 sports network. Uniting Canadians through sport, Sportsnet’s multimedia offerings include Sportsnet (consisting of 4 regional channels: East, Ontario, West, and Pacific), Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, Sportsnet World, the Sportsnet Radio Network, Sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet NOW, SN NOW+, the Sportsnet app, and podcasts. Sportsnet is the official Canadian NHL national multiplatform rights holder, and is the regional broadcaster for the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, and Toronto Maple Leafs. Sportsnet also has extensive coverage of the Toronto Blue Jays and Toronto Raptors, as well as NBA, MLB, Grand Slam of Curling, Rogers Cup, CHL, IndyCar, WWE, Premier League, and FA Cup. Sportsnet is part of Rogers Media, which is a subsidiary of Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX, NYSE: RCI). Visit Sportsnet.ca.
Rogers is a proud Canadian company dedicated to making more possible for Canadians each and every day. Our founder, Ted Rogers, purchased his first radio station, CHFI, in 1960. We have grown to become a leading technology and media company that strives to provide the very best in wireless, residential, and media to Canadians and Canadian businesses. Our shares are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A and RCI.B) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI). If you want to find out more about us, visit about.rogers.com.
Jason Jackson, Sportsnet, email@example.com, 416.602.4033
Meghann Cox, Sportsnet, firstname.lastname@example.org, 416.258.3296
Andrew Garas, Sportsnet, email@example.com, 647.242.7924