March 14, 2020.
TO: Peguis Community Members, Directors, Managers & Employees.
RE: Coronavirus – COVID 19
On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared, the Coronavirus – COVID-19, a Global Pandemic. Social distancing strategies are now being recommended to Manitobans to limit the spread of COVID-19. Peguis Health Centre along with Peguis Pandemic Planning Committee is taking precautionary measures for the safety of the community, minimizing the spread of COVID-19.
We advise all community members
- To avoid all non-essential travel ie: movies/theatres, restaurants, business meetings, out of province travel, socializing in large gatherings.
- If you are having visitors please be aware of their travel history ie: any out of province travellers are considered a risk of transmitting COVID-19.
- Those at greatest risk of severe outcomes include those over 65 years of age, those with chronic illnesses like diabetes, heart disease, and any underlying medical conditions with compromised immune systems. Keep yourself, your family and community safe.
- Any person, who has travelled, out of Manitoba, is to self-isolate within their home, along with any household members they have been in contact with.. Self isolation meaning checking their temperature twice a day at least 8 hours apart for 14 days, and to also observe for signs and symptoms such as fever above 38oC (100.4oF), cough, respiratory symptoms and having a hard time to breath. Do not take Advil or Tylenol as this can mask a fever. Peguis Health has the self-isolation monitoring forms or you can download it from Peguis First Nation Website. While under self isolation Peguis Health will be checking on those under self-isolation. For now call Peguis Fire Hall 204-645-2000 who will relay the message to the command center. Command Centre is the Peguis Community Hall.
- Disinfect with Bleach 1/3 cup to 1 gallon of water or bleach 4 teaspoons per 1 quart of water. Wipe down all high traffic areas like: tables, hard-backed chairs, door knobs, light switches, remotes, handles, desks, toilets sinks, and phones. This can be done often throughout the day. Please follow proper hand washing and cough etiquette for yourself and your loved ones.
On March 13, 2020, Peguis Health and the Pandemic Planning Committee are prioritizing the community’s safety and have initiated closure of the following common gathering areas from March 14, 2020, until further notice.
- Peguis Community Hall
- Peguis Recreation
- Peguis Multiplex
- Peguis Gaming VLT area..
Any further questions can be directed to Peguis Health Centre. Peguis Community Hall will be set up as a command centre on Monday March 16, 2020.
Denise Bear, Nurse In Charge
Doris Bear, Health Director
Chief Glenn Hudson and Council
Peguis Pandemic Planning Committee Members